serves 2 to 4
1/2 yellow onion, diced small
2 garlic cloves, diced small
1 carrot, peeled & diced small
1 1/2 cups tiny black lentils
3 cups stock
1 bay leaf
2 t thyme
1 t mustard
fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a small pot, saute the onion and garlic in a tablespoon of butter or oil for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse the lentils and add them to the onions along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered on medium (don't let it boil too hard or the lentils will turn to mush) for about 30 minutes. If the lentils are cooked, but soupy just ladle off some of the water. If the liquid cooks away before the lentils are done, add a little water.
- Cut 3/4 to 1 pound Cod (depending on how hungry you are) into 4 portions.
- Heat 2 T butter in large skillet.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the fish.
- Pan cook the fish on medium heat until the fish starts to flake apart, about 10 minutes (flipping half way through cooking).